Nowadays, when purchasing a vacuum cleaner, one of the primary decisions is if you want a bagged vacuum cleaner or bagless vacuum cleaner for your carpet, rug or upholstery. There are advantages and disadvantages of both. So there is no clear answer of which is the best for you – it just depends on your requirements and preferences.
– Bagged Vacuum Cleaners
How do bagged vacuum cleaners work? Vacuum cleaner bags are inserted into the vacuum cleaner. The vacuum cleaner bags trap the dirt but allows the air to travel through. These vacuum cleaner bags are emptied when they fill up and are replaceable.
Advantages: It is usually very easy to slip the bag out of the vacuum cleaner and replace it with a new one. The dirt is all contained inside the vacuum cleaner bag, so you don’t have to handle the dirt and the dust does not fly around as much as bagless vacuum cleaners. If you are an allergy sufferer, bagged vacuum cleaners are generally better because you won’t come in contact with the dust as much as the bagless vacuum cleaners.
Disadvantage: It is sometimes hard to remember when the vacuum cleaner bag needs to be emptied. You must continuously buy new vacuum cleaner bags. Even though they are not expensive, it still can be a pain to remember and a continual expense that you don’t have with the bagless vacuum.
– Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
How do bagless vacuum cleaners work? Bagless vacuum cleaners use filters which collect the dirt into a dirt cup. When the dirt cup is filled, you need to empty its contents.
Advantages: You see the dirt in clear view so you don’t generally forget to empty the vacuum when it is full. You don’t have to worry about always buying new vacuum cleaner bags. Also, if you vacuumed something valuable up by mistake, you can easily go through the dirt cup inside the vacuum cleaner, unlike bagged vacuum cleaners where you can’t get to things inside the bag.
Disadvantages: Even though you don’t need to change the bags, you do need to clean the vacuum cleaner dirt cup – and often times clean the filters. Cleaning the vacuum cleaner after emptying the dirt can be a chore and sometimes filters need to be replaced. Emptying the vacuum cup can be messy and dusty.
The Buying Tips
It is important take into account the brand and model of the vacuum cleaner. Since each model is made differently, the exact features of bagged or bagless vacuum cleaner varies slightly with each model.
1. Look at the style and feel the weight of the vacuum, is it easy to carry around? Is the style able to get where I need to go?
2. The quality for what you are paying. Does it have the features that appeal to you and will help you clean the best. Does it have the tools that can connect to it that will be helpful to you?
3. Size matters. There are so many different options ranging from small handheld vacuums to 30 gallon shop vacuums. Most choose something in between, make sure it is easy for you to maneuver around.
4. Take it for a test vacuum. Most stores will allow you to do so, some may think your a bit crazy, but pay no attention to them. After all it is your money you will be spending!
5. Do your research on vacuums beforehand. Compare the vacuums online and choose a few that interest you the most and go to the stores with those few in mind. Take your time and choose the best vacuum for you.
In the end it all depends on what you want. If you suffer from allergies then I do recommend the bagged vacuum! The suction of both types is good and stay good with maintenance that you should do to maintain your vacuum. With so many different vacuum choices on the market it can be confusing, but keep the simple things in mind like.